Trash & Recycling
The chart above shows the number of weekly citizen complaints received by the Borough’s Public Works team over a five-month period. Through 25 weeks a total of 159 complaints were received and approximately 200,000 units of trash and recycling were collected by the Borough’s contracted hauler. Issues registered include categories for missed pickups, improper emptying, misplaced totes and scattering of litter. Based on the information received from citizens, the trash hauler has successfully completed 99.99% of pickups in the Borough during this timeframe.
Trash Collection Schedule
Please note that no trash, recycling, yard waste, or leaf bags are to be set out for collection prior to 4pm the night before the scheduled pick up. All empty totes are to be removed by 6pm the day of pick up. Thank you for your cooperation.
North / West
This schedule pertains to residents west of Adams Street, north of Beech Street from Adams Street to the 300 block of Charlotte Street, west of Charlotte Street, and north of High Street:
- Trash / bulk - Collected on Friday
- Recycling - Collected on Tuesday
South / East
This schedule pertains to residents east of Adams Street, south of Beech Street from Adams Street to the 300 block of Charlotte Street, east of Charlotte Street to High Street, and south of High Street:
- Trash / bulk - Collected on Monday
- Recycling - Collected on Thursday
If a holiday falls on a scheduled trash / recycling day, each collection will be pushed back one day.
Currently one tote for each two units (maximum of three totes).
- Blue tote - Recycling only
- Gray tote - Trash only
- Close the lid to prevent water accumulation and materials from blowing away.
Flexible plastic items may include: all plastic wraps (shrink & bubble wrap, wrap from cases of paper products, etc.) bags, grocery bags, etc. Do not bundle.
Prohibited items include: vinyl such as shower curtains, bed linen packages, inflatable toys, plastic cutlery, hoses, chains, cords, string, hazardous waste, scrap metal, paper towels, tissue paper, textiles, fabric, clothing, toys, liquids, mirrors, window glass, light bulbs, batteries, electronics, TV's, computers, etc. DO NOT PLACE THESE ITEMS IN THE RECYCLING TOTES.
Bulk Items & White Goods
Each week, one bulk item per unit per property will be picked up free of charge. Any item above this one eligible free item per unit, per property, per week can be added for an additional charge
- Pay this fee in advance at Borough Hall
- Receive a sticker
- Display sticker on additional item(s)
Eligible items include:
- household furniture, sofas, chairs, etc.
- box springs/mattresses (must be SEALED in a PLASTIC MATTRESS BAG or it will not be picked up; bags can be purchased at home improvement retailers, or at Borough Hall 2nd Floor Finance Department Window)
- carpet (must be cut in 3-4 foot widths, rolled/folded and tied)
- DO NOT INCLUDE FREON BASED ITEMS: Items containing a refrigerant such as freon (refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, window air conditioners) will not be collected unless the item has a sticker certifying that the refrigerant has been properly removed and recovered. Contact an appliance dealer for this service.
Yard material will be collected every Wednesday from April 6, 2022 to December 21, 2022.
- Do not place in the gray or blue tote
- Must be placed in brown leaf bags, or a separate can with lid off, or bundled with twine or rope. Do not include metal.
- Sticks and branches should be 3-4 ft. in length, maximum 5" in width. do not include anything larger.
- Yard material put out in plastic bags will NOT be taken.
- No grass clippings will be picked up.
- If a holiday fall son a yard material pick-up day, or the Monday or Tuesday before a scheduled yard material pick-up, yard pick-up is skipped for the week.
Christmas Trees are picked up Wednesdays in January.
All trees should be placed near receptacles for pick-up. No trees in plastic bags will be picked up.
**Non-compliance to trash & recycling guidelines may result in fines.
Collection pick-up missed at your address?
Typically, missed pickups can be for the reasons below:
- The containers were not placed at the curb/alley line.
- A vehicle was blocking the alley or roadway preventing truck access to this area.
- There are prohibited items in the container such as construction debris, excessive amounts of water, or trash in the recycling container.
- Snow preventing access to a road or alley, or snow piles preventing cans from being serviced.
*Prior to contacting Public Works, please ensure that none of these apply to your situation. If none apply, contact Public Works at 610-970-6527 or email@example.com.
View the trash and recycling brochure.